I’m currently home sick with the flue and going crazy sitting on the couch binge watching Grey’s Anatomy. So in an attempt to occupy myself with something other than the TV on this cold winters day I once again found myself in the kitchen.
I don’t know about you but when I’m sick I just want comfort food and being winter I figured the ultimate cozy treat was apple crumble muffins!!
125g softened butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup caster sugar
3/4 cup plain flour
3/4 self-raising flour
1/2 cup milk
1 small red apple
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tablespoons raw sugar
1 cup rolled oats
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons plain flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
50g softened butter
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease 12 muffin cases or a muffin tray.
- Beat butter, extract and caster sugar in a small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in sifted flours, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and milk in two batches.
- Separate mixture evenly between muffin cases.
- Cut unpeeled apple into quarters and remove core. Thinly slice the apple and cut slices in half to make small wedges. Lay three slices of apple on each muffin making sure they over lap. Then combine remaining 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon with the raw sugar and sprinkle over each muffin.
- Next make the crumble topping. Place the rolled oats, brown sugar, plain flour and cinnamon in a bowl. Then rub in the softened butter into the dry ingredients until it forms a coarse crumbly mixture. Top each muffin with crumble.
- Bake muffins for about 25 minutes.
These cozy winter treats are best enjoyed snuggled up on the couch with a cup of tea and an episode of Grey’s Anatomy (well at least that’s how I enjoyed them!!).
Let me know if you guys give these a go.
Love Alyssa Anne xx